Please review SBES Program guidelines before submitting an application:
The Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission is pleased to present the Small Business Entrepreneurship Support (SBES) Program for a limited number of eligible small businesses within Virginia’s Tobacco Region. The SBES Program will provide a small business owner with access to the business consulting services of the GENEDGE organization as well as mentorship from the Commission and media attention. The purpose of the SBES Program is to accelerate a small business owner’s path towards growth and commercialization and ultimately bring new capital investment and jobs into Virginia’s Tobacco Region.
Important Note: Finalists will not receive any grant funding. Awards will be in the form of an
individual GENEDGE business assessment, Commission mentorship experience,
and media exposure upon the successful completion of the program.
Deadlines and How to Apply:
- Complete the online application form below no later than April 1st, 2020. 10 semi-finalists will be selected.
- Semi-finalists shall have the opportunity to present on their business and its growth potential before the members of the Business Support Committee on April 17th, 2020 from which the committee is expected to select five (5) finalists. The Committee members will recommend to the Commission 5 finalists that day.
- The Commission will consider the Committee’s finalist recommended finalists at their meeting in May, 2020.
- Both the Committee and Commission’s meetings will be held at a location to be determined in Southern Virginia.
1. Eligibility: each applicant must meet both of the following criteria:
- Location: Must be within the Tobacco Region (or willing to relocate).The
40 localities that are within the southern and southwest Tobacco Region
footprint can be found here: https://www.revitalizeva.org/about-the-
- Traded Economic Sector: The small business must produce or
manufacture a new product within a traded economic sector OR developing a new technology or service that supports the growth of products or manufacturing within a traded sector – i.e. export of products or services.
Each applicant must also meet at least 1 of the following criteria:
- Time in Business: Have been in business for not more than 60 months (5 years).
- Number of Employees: Currently employ 20 or fewer employees.
- Business Revenue: No more than $1 million dollars in total annual receipts.
2. Terms and Conditions:
- Finalists must sign a liability waiver. A sample of the waiver, can be found here: Waiver Sample
- Pursuant to the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, proprietary portions
of applications will be kept confidential upon request. Applicants may
make such request by completing Section IV of the Application.
- Applicants that are either ineligible or not ultimately selected, shall not be
restricted from applying for future application rounds if they may occur.
- Applicants that are selected for the program shall not be eligible for future
rounds of the program
3. Questions? May be directed to: Andy Sorrell, TRRC Deputy Director, 804-894-9653 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important: To prevent an applicant from losing work from an application before it is submitted, please consider drafting responses in another document first and copying and pasting the answers into the below online application form.